If there were only one oil we could have in our arsenal, it would probably be Thieves. This blend of Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus Radiata, and Rosemary essential oils smells like a warm cup of chai and is a powerhouse when it comes to our health and our homes!
JUST A DROP THIEVES…
- Cleansing when applied topically
- Diffuse to create a fresh, healthy environment
- Provides immune system support
- Cleansing to the digestive system
- Source of antioxidants
Read on for more about why we love this oil and ways to use it daily….
Thieves is THE oil for immune support. We're talking what you want to reach for daily to give your body a little extra boost and definitely what you want to reach for when your defenses start to go down. A quick PubMed search for the individual oils in this blend will have you convinced that these oils can be a powerful tool for our health!
Formulated by Young Living founder, D. Gary Young, this blend was created from research recorded in the archives of the British Museum library about a group of 14th century European perfumers and spice traders who rubbed oils on themselves while they robbed the dead and dying. The first essential oil blend to be scientifically evaluated in a university research laboratory, Thieves has a rich, spicy aroma, and is a key ingredient in the Thieves Home Collection – your go to for an invigorating clean and healthy home.
*Constituents are naturally occurring compounds in plants (and therefore essential oils) that give them specific health-supporting properties
- Eugenol: known for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory support as well as antimicrobial activity
- Eucalyptol: has a calming effect when applied in aromatherapy; may have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibacterial effects; supports airway opening.
- Linalool: supports stress relief and uplifts the mood
THIEVES & EMOTIONS
Thieves is a powerhouse for our health, both physical and emotional. This makes a lot of sense since our emotions are closely linked with our physical health. When we are sick our energy is low, we struggle with brain fog and lethargy. Thieves can help us there! Rosemary, Clove, and Cinnamon are all wonderful for helping combat brain fog, clearing the mind, and energizing our spirits. Diffuse, apply, add to an Epsom salt bath.
Thieves is a wonderful choice when you need to help promote clarity. If you're feeling uncertain or unfocused, the blend of oils in Thieves can be helpful. Dilute and apply it over the throat or over the liver.
- Thieves Essential Oil
- Thieves Vitality Essential Oil
- Thieves Roll-On
- Thieves Essential Oil blend is also infused into a line of home and personal care items that are staples in our homes - cleaner, hand soap, dish and laundry soap, toothpaste, mouthwash and more. See the related resources below for more!
Note: Thieves and Thieves Vitality are the same essential oil. Vitality oils are labeled for ingestion but contain the same oil as the non-vitality option.
DAILY HABITS WITH THIEVES
Thieves is one of our favorite oils to use in our homes and health routines. Try some of these suggestions below, and check out the Thieves Vitality Recipes resource linked below for some of our favorite ways to add this chai-inspired oil to our food and drink!
Use Thieves Vitality in your wellness and cooking routines
- Take in a capsule to help support the immune system.
- Put a drop in your morning juice, tea, or coffee or add 1-2 drops to coffee ground before brewing.
- Make ‘Thieves Tea' to boost the immune system or when you feel that tingle in the back of your throat:
- Add a drizzle of raw honey to a large mug
- Add 1 drop each Thieves, Lemon Vitality
- Add hot water and/or herbal tea bag and steep.
- Thieves + Honey Throat Coat:
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp water
- 2 drops Thieves Vitality
- 3 drops Lemon.
- Heat up the water and honey together until liquid then add in the oils. Stir together and serve on a spoon. Make sure the liquid isn't too hot or close to boiling before adding oils.
- Add a drop to oatmeal, granola, or other cereal to elevate your breakfast and help cleanse the digestive system.
- Add 1-2 drops to a shot of NingXia Red for a quick spicy boost.
Add Thieves to your natural home care routine
- Add a few drops to dryer balls for the fresh smelling laundry.
- Use Thieves in your DIY Laundry Scent Booster:
- To a large glass jar with airtight lid add
- 1 1/2 cup epsom salt
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 30 drops Thieves (or mix Thieves and Lemon)
- Whisk together until all ingredients are well combined.
- To use: add 1-2 Tbl into the washer before adding any laundry. Add laundry and the normal amount of laundry detergent.
- Make a Mattress & Upholstery Spray to use when you change the sheets or anytime a surface needs a little freshening:
- Add a few drops to your dishwater or dishwasher to eliminate odors and boost cleaning.
- Make this Citrus Spice Thieves Cleaner recipe:
- 16oz glass spray bottle
- 1-2 capfuls Thieves Household Cleaner
- 10 drops each Tangerine, Lemon
- 20 drops Thieves
- Filtered water
- Make a refreshing room spray:
- Make a DIY Carpet & Rug Freshener
- To a glass jar add:
- 1 cup baking soda
- ½ cup salt
- 30 drops Thieves
- Optional: 20 drops Lemon
- Mix well. When ready to use, sprinkle over carpets and let sit for 10 minutes before vacuuming.
Use Thieves in your wellness & acute care routines
- Dilute and apply to the bottom of your feet during cold winter months.
- Dilute and apply to the bottoms of your kids' feet in the morning and for a great day at school. We love to make rollers for this!
- Diffuse this cleansing blend any time of day, either alone or with other immune supporting favorites.
- Add Thieves to an epsom salt bath for a gentle detox or use more in a more concentrated way when your defenses go down.
- Make a simple chest rub to support the airways:
- ½ cup solid coconut oil
- 20 drops Thieves
- Optional: 15 drops R.C. or Raven, 20 drops Lemon
- Apply to the chest and back as desired.
- Make a Wellness Roll-on. In a 10mL roller bottle add:
- 25 drops Thieves
- Optional additions: 10-20 drops each Lemon, Frankincense, Pine, Geranium, Oregano
- Top with carrier.
- Apply morning and evening or more frequently for acute needs.
Add Thieves to your skin, hair and self care routines
- Sprinkle a few drops in your shower with some epsom salt for an awakening shower steam in the morning.
- GIve your tired feet some love with this Lemon Herb Foot Scrub:
- 2 Tbsp Organic Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp of Honey
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 3 drops each Thieves, Lemon
- Mix ingredients well then rub onto feet. Wrap feet with warm damp towels and let sit for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes remove the towel and wipe off the scrub. Follow with moisturizer if desired.
- Whenever you feel your defenses going down, try this Immune Boost Bath Soak:
- Try this tingly Thieves Lip Scrub for soft, happy lips:
- 7 drops Vanilla
- 5 drops Thieves
- ¼ cup White Sugar
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil
- Whip coconut oil with a mixer, then add in sugar and essential oils and mix again. Store in a glass jar. Apply nightly to lips in a circular motion. Wipe off with a dry towel.
Diffusing is a wonderful health habit! We have our diuser going almost 24/7 and love to choose blends that are supportive of individual needs or systems. Try some of these great combinations and enjoy the spicy, supporting aroma of Thieves!
- After School: 4 drops each Thieves, Tangerine, R.C. or Raven
- Snickerdoodle: 4 drops Thieves + 5 drops Stress Away + 3 drops Vanilla
- Deep Breathe: 3 drops Peppermint + 4 drops Thieves + 3 drops Frankincense
- Well Rested: 4 drops Thieves + 4 drops Lavender + 3 drops Cedarwood
- Crisp Breeze: 3 drops each Thieves, Grapefruit, Bergamot + 2 drops Orange
- Open Windows: 4 drops Thieves, Citrus Fresh + 3 drops each Lime